We use the latest technology such as optical character recognition, so we can prepare affordable accounts and VAT returns at high speed.

Professional Associations & Certifications

  • ACCA

Serviced Areas

  • Cumbria

Contact Details

  City Carlisle
  Postcode CA3 9FJ
  Address 81 Larch Drive
  Phone Number 012 2853 3751

Products & Services

Many businesses trade only through their bank account. If all you have are bank transactions, then just give us your bank statements and cheque book stubs, and let us do the rest.

You may not need to do any bookkeeping at all, and we have very fast methods of dealing with bank statements which mean we actually prefer to do it this way.

If you have cash income, then you could just use a basic notebook to record daily takings and cash expenses. You do not need a specialised ledger. Again simplicity is better.

We have experience of preparing accounts for all types of client, including sole traders, partnerships, companies, charities and limited liability partnerships. We have particular experience with limited companies and corporation tax.

If we do your quarterly VAT returns, we will try to avoid duplication of work when we come to prepare the annual accounts, and pass the benefit back to you. Our specialist bookkeeping software helps us to do this.

Self-assessment income tax returns sent to HM Revenue & Customs after the October 31st deadline need to be sent electronically, which we are able to do.


Carlisle Accountant - David Porthouse & Co

Carlisle Accountant David Porthouse & Co has an innovative bookkeeping system aimed at a wide range of users. You can keep the books on paper, or on an identical spreadsheet which is readable by our computer.

David Porthouse & Co is an accountant based in Carlisle. You can get a quote from our website by visiting http://www.dpquote.co.uk

Social Activity

Construction Industry Scheme returns for the period from 6th May to 5th June 2017 should be submitted online by 19th June. This includes NIL returns. If you engage accountants to do your CIS returns, then they should remember the requirement to submit
Google+   Full Post ›
New students wanting a student loan should apply by the end of May if they want their loan to be ready on time in September.
Google+   Full Post ›
Small private companies with a year end of 31st August 2016 and into their second or later year of existence should submit their accounts to Companies House by 31st May 2017 in order to avoid a Late Filing Penalty.Any corporation tax for small companies
Google+   Full Post ›
Employees should be issued with form P60 by the deadline of May 31st. Please impress upon them the importance of keeping a copy of this form, along with a copy of the last payslip as a backup.It would be good for employee relations to issue this form
Google+   Full Post ›
If the deadline for the submission of your company accounts was 30th April 2017 and you have missed it, then you will need to pay a penalty of 150. If you also miss the 31st May 2017 deadline, then this penalty jumps to 375. These penalties rise to 300
Google+   Full Post ›
If you invoiced somebody in March 2017 under the net monthly account system, then you might expect them to be writing the cheque round about 25th April 2017. Many large companies do a cheque run near the end of the month before preparing their monthly
Google+   Full Post ›
Value Added Tax returns for the quarter ended 31st March 2017 are due to be submitted by May 7th 2017, and any payment which is due should be made electronically by the same date. All Carlisle accountants can do your VAT returns as well as your accounts,
Google+   Full Post ›
It's getting to be time for employers to wrap up payroll matters for the income tax year ended 5th April 2017. The final FPS should be submitted by tomorrow, the 19th. P60s should be given to employees by May 31st. It may make for good employee relations
Google+   Full Post ›

From Our Website

See an accountant and tax agent as soon as possible if you are starting a business in Carlisle. When HM Revenue & Customs talk about you having a tax adviser, they mean accountants like us. We can prepare your accounts and submit your tax return, and if you see us sooner rather than later, we can guide you in avoiding penalties and keeping your tax bills down to sensible levels. If you are starting self-employment, that is the same thing as starting a business. We can advise you on whether or not you should start as a company, on taking on employees, and on VAT registration, and help you not to do things which are inappropriate.

Unincorporated sole traders and partnerships are free to draw up their accounts in any layout they think appropriate. These layouts are similar to the layouts which the Companies Act 2006 requires for company accounts. If you are thinking of becoming a company at a future date, perhaps for tax reasons, then we suggest that you stick with these layouts. This second layout has the merit that there is more of a tie-up or "flow" between the profit and loss account and the balance sheet. The bottom line on the profit and loss account shows that a profit of 23,230 has been made.

Many businesses start as sole traders or partnerships, and become companies later, which is called incorporation. Other businesses trade as companies from the beginning. Discuss with your accountant which is best for you. When your profits are high enough for you to be paying surtax at the 40% rate, then it is time to think about incorporation, which we can advise you on. The merits of incorporation are savings on National Insurance Contributions and on surtax. The demerits are more bureaucracy, a higher accountancy fee to match, use of home as office is not deductible, and changes to the way in which a car used in the business is treated.

We are always looking for ways to save you tax. There is plenty of good reason to order your affairs in an honest fashion to minimise your tax bill and to avoid your business being dismantled by the demands of HM Revenue and Customs.

We deal with all the usual bookkeeping systems (Sage, Sage One, Xero, KashFlow, QuickBooks, ClearBooks, Simplex D etc.). In addition, we have our own bookkeeping system which can be supplied to our clients free of charge. 3 You get a discount of 5% on your accountancy fee for using our paper system, and a discount of 25% for using our spreadsheet system. 4 There is an additional choice of using the Flat Rate Scheme. If we do your VAT returns, we will check every time to see if a switch to the Flat Rate Scheme could save you money in the future.

If you are using Xero then we would be very happy to help you. We have our own conversion software which can take the General Ledger from Xero and transfer it to our in-house system. Once you have typed in a transaction on Xero, all subsequent processing is digital all the way through to the accounts which we prepare for you. If required, we could do your accounts at high speed. We quote a fixed fee in advance based on how long we expect your accounts to take us, which means of course that we should be cheaper.